Hello, I’m Peter Attia, and I’m hoping this blog will challenge much of what you think you know about nutrition and how it impacts your health and performance. If you’re interested in losing weight, increasing your endurance, increasing your mental acuity, getting off your blood pressure and diabetes medicine, or just learning why almost everything the “experts” tell us is probably wrong, you’ve come to the right place. I won’t claim to have all the answers — and, in fact, I’ll probably end up asking more questions than I answer — but I’m profoundly curious, a relentless self-experimenter, and a data-driven person. If the answer isn’t clear, that’s what I’m going to say.
Who is Peter Attia?
Where should I start?
If you’re here because you want to lose weight, you may want to start with how can I lose weight?, which includes succinct dietary guidelines for weight loss and health. Or, if you’re already questioning my sanity, you can check out my quick FAQ, where I tackle some of the most common questions people throw my way. If you have more detailed questions, take a look at my in-depth FAQ. If you’re not much of a reader, check out my media page for some clips of me talking about these issues.
How to interact with this blog (i.e., my guidelines):
- I prefer to interact with readers through the comments, found at the end of each post. I do try to respond to many comments and questions in a timely fashion. Before asking questions, though, please check my coming soon section where I keep a “parking lot” of future posts. If your question is there, I’ll be getting to it. If you don’t see your question, let me know and I’ll put it in the queue.
- I’ve added a pretty good search feature recently. If you have a question, spend a few minutes searching the blog first, as there is a chance I’ve already answered it in a post OR in the comments section of previous posts.
- The massive response to this blog in such a short period of time is extremely gratifying, and I cannot thank you enough for your support. However, as I do have a full time job, a family, a training schedule, and three other side projects, please understand that I cannot answer every email I get — especially those that contain personal medical questions, as I am unable to practice medicine over the internet. This blog is pastime for me, not my profession.
- I really want to keep the discussion constructive. I expect the ideas in this blog to be controversial and I expect readers to question them, but I won’t respond to derogatory comments or those from individuals who are clearly unwilling to contemplate data and arguments that disagree with their preconceptions. It’s not because I have no response to such comments — it’s because I have a policy in life to avoid wasting time on no-win interactions. By all means, disagree with me, challenge me, but please show me the respect I try to show everyone else. If you think I am a complete moron and that you’ve got it figured out, I am happy for you and have no interest in trying to change you. But, please understand there are not enough hours in my day to spend them engaging in this sort of fruitless interaction. Flamers, please head to another site.
- If you decide you want to make a change in the way you eat, please let your doctor know. Even if he or she does not agree with you, they should be completely supportive of your choice to work outside the conventional wisdom, particularly so if the conventional wisdom hasn’t been working for you. If they are not supportive, it’s time to look for a new doctor. I’m serious. It’s your body and it’s your health. You can take them back whenever you want, starting now. Parenthetically, when I started my journey in 2009 my doctor thought I was crazy, but he still supported me. Two years later, after he watched me (and 5 other patients who took my guidance) completely change our lives, he has become an enthusiastic supporter of carbohydrate reduction as a treatment for metabolic syndrome and obesity and has changed the way he treats his patients.
Welcome aboard and thanks for sharing this information with others. You’re about to embark on a journey that will change your life.
This blog is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute the practice of medicine, nursing or other professional health care services, including the giving of medical advice, and no doctor/patient relationship is formed. The use of information on this blog or materials linked from this blog is at the user’s own risk. The content of this blog is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Users should not disregard, or delay in obtaining, medical advice for any medical condition they may have, and should seek the assistance of their health care professionals for any such conditions.